Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ways to Help!

Kevin’s first full day in Santa Cruz went well. He has come up with a few achievable goals for this week: to see Chammy (our golden retriever), to finally see the ocean again (he hasn’t seen it since he got sick) and to take a shower. The therapists in Santa Cruz are thrilled to have him back. They spent a lot of time today assessing Kevin’s abilities and successfully tired him out.

And now, as promised, on to more ways you can show Kevin your love and support!

Over the past few months, we’ve been trying to think of a way for Kevin to digitally “see” all of you who are sending so much love and support to him. Tyler, one of Kevin’s close friends, came up with a great idea. He has suggested that people take short videos of themselves saying hello to Kevin, telling him a story, showing him the local scenery, etc. Just get out your digital camera, cell phone or any of these new-fangled devices that can take video, record a message, put it on your computer and send it to kickingkevinscancer@gmail.com. We have started this email account specifically for these videos. Please keep the video shorter than 10 minutes, otherwise we’ll run into problems with file size!

We plan to compile these videos onto a DVD for Kevin. We’re also considering putting some of the videos up on the blog or on the “Kicking Kevin’s Tumor” Facebook group page. When you send a video to kickingkevinscancer@gmail.com, please state whether you’d like your video to just go on the DVD, where only Kevin and the family will see it, or if you’d also like it to be posted on either the Facebook or the blog.

Members of the Colgate community can head to Donovan’s Pub Trivia Night on Monday, April 26 at 8 p.m. For the students who are organizing the trivia night and other fundraisers, checks can be made out to “Kevin Bradley Williams Rehabilitation Fund” and sent to:
Comerica Bank
Attn: Cathy Schlumbrecht
55 River Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

For those of you in the Santa Cruz area, there’s one more way you can help out. Down the line, we are considering wheelchair-accessible housing for Kevin in Santa Cruz County. We haven’t had time to do much research on this yet, but we would be interested in a studio, 1-bedroom or granny unit apartment that would be wheelchair accessible. We would greatly appreciate any ideas, leads or information that any of you might have on this topic.

Friends, family, friends of friends, members of the Santa Cruz and Colgate communities… we can’t thank you enough for your all your love, support and help. You’re an amazing source of strength for Kevin and us.

6 comments:

Ellen Georgi said...

I will get the Georgi Family to talk to the camera, but I will also be flying out to see Kevin and clan for Memorial Day bringing Maryland/Washington DC chocolate and our local not yet famous Uncle Gaylord's chocolate chip cookies. They are not as good as Rich's, so they will just serve to highlight that William's homemade are better.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I'm happy the Santa Cruz transition went well. Let me know how the ocean looks, Kevin! I'm going to try to work on some pictures and videos for you buddy. Wait... now that you're in Santa Cruz, it opens up whole new milkshake options... You have to let me know which is best!
-Max

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Kathlin,

Just read the article from Colgate. You have quite a fan-club formed... we might have to head over to Donovan's Pub to check out the event Monday night. Kathlin, so sorry about no cookies yet! Good grief. I just can't seem to get to my oven to bake :( Don't give up on me though. I'm thinking I just may have to enter the contest for the best chocolate chip cookies. I know you have all been through quite a lot of change and turmoil of late, but it also sounds as though you are handling it with resolve and grace. You are both constantly on our minds, and at the top of our prayer lists. Love to you both, Mary Jo and Bob

Lynn said...

Carolyn and family!
I'm so glad things have improved with Kevin and that he is at a place where he'll get the assistance he needs!
You are on our minds and we are sending good energy to you always!
Take care,
Lynn Finger

toni runyon said...

Kevin, welcome back to Santa Cruz and the salt air! I feel in my heart that your being back home is going to give you that extra dose of healing power that you have been working so hard for. We are so happy to have you back in the arms of your community and I am sure they will take amazing care of you and your family while you continue to get better. There are thousands of people near and far sending their love and support to you all. God bless you.
Toni and Steve Runyon

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I had a weird dream in which I was asking you how to pronounce your dog's full name. I was asking, "Is it Sham-moy? Sham-mo?" And you were like, "It's Sham-wah"... is that right? Cause I had no idea and it was weird that it came to me in a dream. Anyway, I'll keep sending the good vibes your way!!!
Your friend,
Max

Post a Comment