With the recent news of further tumor growth in mind, Kevin’s chemotherapy schedule has increased from once every two weeks to once every week. This additional chemotherapy, however, is seen more as a temporary “stop-gap;” it is not something that will work over a long period of time. We are hoping this will buy us some more time to research other possible options. The neuro oncologists seem to be running out of ideas for treatments, which is very disheartening. However, we’ll take anything that may buy Kevin a bit more time.
Some of you may be thinking about the fact that Kevin’s actual diagnosis was “better” than the original. True, medulloblastomas are more successfully treated than glioblasotmas. However, we have heard from other neuro oncologists that inoperable medulloblastomas, especially in pediatric cases (which Kevin basically is) tend to act like glioblastomas. That is, chemotherapy and radiation treatments often don’t do much to kill the tumor. It breaks my heart to report it, but this is exactly what we’re seeing in Kevin’s case.
We have all been focusing on living day by day and appreciating the little things that we can. Kevin still can’t talk and has been using the letter board to communicate, but he has watched the webcam and heard the voices of a few of his closest friends who now live far away. He’s also been able to eat some milkshakes and other pureed foods that he’s been craving. He assigned the Butterscotch Swirl milkshake from Marianne’s 4 ½ stars—I guess he really enjoyed that one! Kevin also requested a New York style cheesecake and homemade Almond Roca from our very culinarily gifted neighbor. To our surprise, he was able to chew and swallow small pieces of Almond Roca. Immense motivation can produce some stellar results!
Thank you all for hanging in there with us throughout this rollercoaster journey. Maybe it’s more of a haunted house ride with a track that winds through the dark and takes giant drops, always catching us by surprise. We have desperately needed your support, and we still need it now. Please send Kevin good wishes and prayers. Thank you so much for your love and support.
16 comments:
You're all in our thoughts and prayers every day.
We are with you 100%. Lots of love, the Murphys
Kevin and Team,
My heart breaks for your setbacks, but celebrates at what an incredible job you guys are doing at fighting hard and staying unified. I am praying that you feel a sense of divine guidance and protection, and that you know you are very, very loved
Continued thoughts and prayers for each of you. Much love, the Cronins
We have a candle lit for you to light your way in the dark. We send all our heartfelt prayers to give you all peace and strength and hope.
God bless you all
With Love from the Runyons
Kevin-
You are surrounded by the love of so many of us. May our continued prayers help you through this most difficult of times.
Scott, Tania, Matt, Graham and Noelle
Dear Team Kevin, Push through this latest setback and get rid of those tumors. I am thinking tumor destroying thoughts as I type.
Your Maryland rose garden continues to grow and is full of California poppies and tomatoes right now.
We are there for you and we hope to talk to you guys on Skype soon again. We really enjoyed the chat last time and we heard Kevin did as well. Just try calling us if you need a break!
Lots of hope and love to all of you!
Krya på dig!! Get well soon!!
Sofie and Tyler
Hello to all ... we have been following your story since the beginning. Kevin was in the same townhouse last year as our son, Matt, a member of the Crew Team at Colgate. It seems it was the Water Polo/Crew House. Just wanted you to know that yet another family is with you and praying for you daily and sending you good thoughts as frequently. Extra prayers that this latest challenge will prove to be only a small hurdle.
Keep your spirits strong.
Lots of positive thoughts are with you Kevin and family. Miracles happen every day. I know there is one with your name on it Kevin. Stay strong.Don't give up.
love,
Christine and Jan
Kevin!
I just wanted to let you know that I think about you every day. I remember when we were kids, going skiing up in Kirkwood and how you were this little spitfire on skis. You were always the first down any run and you were FEARLESS! It makes me laugh just thinking about you bouncing over these moguls, flying down the mountain...showing me up...I still hate moguls. :P Your strength and tenacity and your GUTS to this day continue to amaze me. I love you so much! I am continuing to send all my support and cheering you on!
Love,
Maureen
We send our love and best wishes to all of you.
The Boothbys
Hi Kevin and Kathlin and family,
We are so sorry you are going through such a tough time. We think of you all daily and you continue to be in our prayers.
Godspeed to you all, with much love, Mary Jo and Bob.
Kevin and family
You are all a divine inspiration to those of us following your journey. Your courage and unity is beyond anything most of us can imagine. We bless and pray for you everytime we pass your home which is more than once every day.
Love, Laura, Josh and Darrick
Kevin,
I'll never forget how much we used to make each other laugh. I am always in awe of your natural ability to float down the side of a snow-packed mountain, whether bound to skis or a board. That was until I couldn't see you anymore and I had to stop to catch my breath. My thoughts are always with you and your determination is admirable. All of my love goes out to you. Never say never.
Love,
Gavin
HELLO KEVIN AND FAMILY, I AM A MOTHER OF A STUDENT 2010 FROM COLGATE. I WAS JUST SITTING HERE WITH MY DAUGHTER KATELYN READING ALL THESE STORIES OF YOU. PLEASE KNOW THAT I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND SENDING YOU LOTS OF LOVE AND SUPPORT, TO ALL OF YOU. MAY YOU BE FILLED WITH GODS STRENGTH AND PUSH FORWARD WITH MUCH DETERMINATION. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!
MY LOVE TO YOU ALL,
DEBBIE BURKE (MOTHER OF KATELYN BURKE)
Post a Comment