Kevin has been doing well the past couple days. His spirits have been amazingly high; he is usually up for trying a new exercise or repeating some familiar ones. His strength and movement is returning one tiny bit at a time. He wore the speaking valve yesterday for about an hour total, and he's wearing it much longer today. His enunciation is nowhere near perfect, but he is getting better at making strong sounds, which is an important step. He sat up in a large wheelchair today for about an hour and a half. We took him on a little tour around his wing. We showed him the view out other windows and the little kitchen where Mom heats up our lunches and dinners.
One theme over the last couple days is that various doctors, nurses and therapists have mentioned that they truly understand Kevin is completely there mentally, but he looks pretty bored and should laugh more often. We completely agree; laughter is terrific medicine and exercise. At the moment, Kevin, Kathlin and I are watching Cool Runnings. Kevin’s double vision makes it difficult for him to focus on the screen, but we’re trying an eye patch on one eye to see if that helps. He likes at least listening to the movie. Kathlin and I certainly enjoy the change of pace in his hospital room! Maybe Kevin can adopt the chant Yule Brenner teaches Junior (please excuse the language, courtesy of Disney):
“I see pride,
I see power,
I see a bad-ass mother
Who don’t take no crap off nobody!”
4 comments:
Thanks for the update. I was so happy hearing that Kevin got to go outside and see his dog.
I know that it must have taken an enormous effort and help from others. You are all so wonderful for Kevin. He is in my daily thoughts and prayers (long distance) Love you all.
Margy and Family
We are loving hearing of your progress Kevin!
Great chant too! Nothing like the power of a
protective mother lion!! Go Carolyn!
here are a couple of quotes to make you laugh
"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." -George W. Bush
I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George Bush
"Cool Runnings means 'Peace be the Journey'... Sanka, ya dead?
To keep up the laughter, watch another John Candy classic, "Planes Trains and Automobiles"!!!
Kevin you animal!!! Keep it up!
I hadn't read the post for over a week so was SO GLAD to hear of Kevin's improvement, his tenacity, the strength of your family and the love of all the people who are watching his progress. Keep up the hard, good work.
We'll be sending positive thoughts for strength to your whole family this Saturday.
love, Claudia, Bob, Morgan, Chelsea and Liam (the Parrish-Kuhn-Wright clan)
Post a Comment