This journey still catches us off guard with horrible plummets. Then, the next thing we know, we’re happily floored as Kevin reaches for new heights.
On Saturday night, we came in for visiting hours to see several things wrong with Kevin and no nurse in sight. To keep a very long and infuriating story short, we explained to the night nurses how to care for Kevin, but later that night they overreacted to some of his symptoms. They ended up putting another tube in him and took a CT scan to figure out what was wrong.
The CT shows that nothing new is wrong—in fact, it shows that the tumor is smaller and most of the bleeding has been absorbed! Thankfully, Kevin had a wonderful, smart and understanding nurse the next day. This nurse managed to get Kevin back to where he had been the day before. Kevin then surprised us all by greatly surpassing where he’d been the day before, despite having a hellacious night!
He now nods or shakes his head almost immediately after being asked a question, he moves around in his bed much more, can move his eyes more, and, the best improvement (drum roll please)… he can move his left side on command! Yesterday he even wanted a pen and paper, and he managed to write a few things down to communicate what he wanted. We are thrilled with these major steps forward. Even Kevin can tell he’s getting better!
Kevin received his last day of cranial-spinal radiation today, and he gets focused radiation through Friday. The doctors are finally recognizing his improvement and are starting to mobilize to get him out of the ICU.
The Friday meeting with the doctors was tense at times, but overall it went well. We are now all on the same page that Kevin is communicating with us, we think he’s improving and we all want to keep fighting. We learned that they will take a follow-up MRI several weeks after radiation ends, and then they will decide what the next course of action will be in terms of possible chemotherapy. That seems like a long ways off, so in the meantime, Kevin needs to gather all the strength he can muster to recover and do rehab.
12 comments:
What great news-- stay strong Kevin! Every Sunday we keep Kevin in our prayers over here at Colgate Newman Masses. I know so many people are sending positive thoughts, too. Get out Bob and Steve!
Kathleen
So good to hear. We are all sending love and healing to him. God bless.
What an inspired idea it was to read all of the many supporter's names to Kevin. I know that must have been most difficult, yet so important to Kevin (and yourselves) to realize the scope of support there is for Kevin.
We are encouraged by Kevin's strength to get better. What a fighter! We are ever hopeful that the many people who are sending positive vibes and prayers will empower his healing.
Carolyn and Rich- We want you to know that we send good thoughts and prayers to you each and every hour of each and every day.
The Woolseys
Scott, Tania, Matt, Graham and Noelle
Wonderful to hear positive steps.
We continue to hold you all in our hearts and prayers every day.
Kevin, Stacy, Carolyn and Rich......
Just want you to know that this past weekend I read ALL the blogs and so on the 27th I, too, got to send you powerful energy from Mother Nature here in Alaska! I was accompanied by two eagles and a lone sea lion swimming through big Alaska wind and surf. The seas were huge but how effortlessly those birds kept flying and the sea lion swam on ....what seem unconquerable seas to many (as the naysayer doctors) are not to others...
....and even though I only met you a few times when I was practicing with your dad,Kevin, I know that you and your family are all STRONG swimmers........
Stacy your dedication to the blog is amazing.
Rich and Carolyn....thinking of you....wish I could be there to help some way. Can't send a Rose's chocolate malt from here in dry ice without ruining the taste, unfortunately.
Love you....Loulie
Thinking of you all ..... Loulie
What WONDERFUL news!!! Your positive spirits keep everything and everyone moving in the right direction!! ~ The Vineyards, Robert, Cindy & Ashly :)
Kevkev,
you can do it brother! keep up the hardwork. we are all behind you. I keep all my positive thoughts and gather them for you. It has been hard not getting to surf since school started, but I can't imagine how much it would mean for you to get in the water. I would like to organize a little something. The day the doctors say it is good for you to get in the water, let me know I'll take you to a pool. Working there for a few years, I would def. be able to organize something for you. Let's keep up the hard and good work, and all the positive thoughts, and let's look forward to a nice walk around the pool, and then a good surf sesh with tyty and we'll get max out there.
: )
now I am sure and hope all the people who read this blog also read the comments. I do not know how many people have facebook. But I asked Kathlin and she gave me the green light, to start a group on facebook. It is called Kicking Kevin's Tumor. I created this group to gain even more support and more people to read this blog. Anyone who has facebook, add me (Romain Lazerand) and add to the group. Send me a quick email so I know who you are, and I'll make you administrator of the group so you can add more people like Colgate or some of his mates from New Zealand, etc. This way we can spread like "rivers and streams" and get even more support. I want to reenforce and show Kevin and his family how much we care, love, and support them.
Thank you all. Best to the Williams Family and kevkev. You are the best brother. I love you, and let's put this thing in the coffin once and for all.
I miss you
Romain
We read of Kevin's progress constantly and hold you all in our thoughts and prayers. Kevin, your Canadian friends would happily give up the Hockey gold medal bragging rights if it meant you will keep fighting and win this battle. We will be sending our healing thoughts and prayers again this Saturday at noon PT.
Susan, Mark and Adam Weisbarth
I hope that some of this good luck is coming from all the love being sent to Kevin. We are all thinking and praying for him and this improvement gives me faith that those prayers and good vibes are reaching him. We send our strength and love to Kevin and your family and are so happy to hear that he is improving!
Kevin's Colgate Family
Dear Kevin,
It was great to open the blog this morning to hear this most positive news. Our family and friends have responded to the "Saturday at noon" email and will give extra prayers and support at that time ... plus we will continue to hold you in our hearts and prayers daily. Go Kevin!!
Love to all,
Kathy & Robert
HOORAY FOR KEVIN!!!!!Sounds like he is on his way out of ICU and making strides to start rehab. Yeah - great to hear. "Pacific 12 Noon" , we might be on to something.
Best wished to everyone. And congratulations on the left side. Sending love and healing prayers...
Sandy,Bob, and Joshua
Great news. Keep going.
Post a Comment