Kevin continues to do well at home. He has completed the sessions of physical, occupational and speech therapy at our house. There were a limited number when the therapists could come to Kevin. Now, we will give outpatient therapy a try. This will be a larger ordeal and more difficult for Kevin because of the car trip to and from appointments, but we’re still going to give it a shot.
In the last couple sessions of occupational therapy at our house, the therapist was working on playing games with Kevin. Holding a hand of cards and placing a single card down on the table is very difficult for Kevin because it requires fine motor skills, but he’s willing to practice the motions and play some games. The other day, he managed to beat Kathlin and the occupational therapist at “Go Fish!” He’s also been playing (and doing very well at) “Turkeyfoot,” a traditional Williams family game that’s similar to dominos.
The Colgate community continues to be extremely supportive and helpful for Kevin and us throughout this process. We’d like to thank Kevin’s Colgate friends who have flown out or stopped by on their road trips to California. It’s been wonderful for Kevin and Kathlin to see you and reconnect to their life back at Colgate. Thank you so much for your visits, and please continue to stay in touch with Kevin and Kathlin!
We also just received a list of interesting online lectures and podcasts from a few of Kevin’s Colgate professors. We have been searching for things to engage Kevin’s mind, but it’s difficult when he can’t yet read books or articles. Kathlin has been reading him some Geography and Geology things, but we’re excited to have Kevin start listening to and watching these USGS lectures, climate change podcasts and other material. Please let us know if any of you have suggestions for videos or podcasts that would stimulate Kevin’s mind (without requiring him to read anything). Anything relating to Geography or Geology is wonderful, but anything interesting on other topics is also welcome. Thank you again to the Colgate professors for the suggestions.
Happy Fourth of July to everyone—we hope you have a wonderful holiday!
8 comments:
You should try some NPR programs. These ones are my favorite--
This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/
Radio Lab:
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/
They have some older shows that Kevin could listen to, as well as their most recent shows. You can look up other NPR programs at www.npr.org
Enjoy, and Happy 4th!
-Amy Anichini
Kevin,
I think it's great that you're getting some material from the lecturers. I love listening to Podcasts, most of which are free. You and your family should look into it because I'm sure there are many dedicated to geological survey. I want to know about this "Turkeyfoot"... But I suck at dominoes...
Were you guys able to catch any fireworks? I could see a few last night but nothing crazy.
Thinking about you all the time, dude.
Max
A really cool podcast that my brother and I use on road trips is the Stuff You Should Know podcast. Its put on 2 quirky guys name Chuck and Josh from HowStuffWords.com. You can find it on itunes and there are hours upon hours of it. I recommend going through the old podcasts and downloading whatever sounds interesting, but keep an open mind - some of the weird ones have been favorites of mine.
Kevin,
I'll be home in about a week or so. I plan on giving you a call if you're up for it. Keep on fighting.
The Toxoplasma is one of my favorites.
1. I second Amy's recommendation for NPR. "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" is one of my favorites.
2. http://www.ted.com/ has some really cool talks (of varying lengths) by super cool people.
Sending lots and lots of happy and healthy thoughts!!
Hi Williams Family,
I asked some geo friends for recommendations and we came up with the following:
-- John McPhee books on tape, such as "Assembling California" and other geology-oriented books.
-- Planet Earth
-- NOVA videos, found online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs/
There is an awesome NOVA video on the Scablands megafloods, but I can't find it online... NOVA videos are generally pretty interesting.
-- UCtelevision, which airs UC lectures. Here is a link to a video on youtube, and you can find other geo-related videos on the side panel. These lectures are a bit more technical than the other options listed above.
-- "How the Earth was made," a show on the History Channel. I think this show is really well-done. You can watch one of the episodes (a good one!) online at http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-earth-was-made/videos/playlists/full-episodes#how-the-earth-was-made-iceland If you can find the other episodes, I recommend watching those, too.
-- The Geological Society of London lectures, found at http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/podcasts
-- itunes U. I have never used this, but a friend said that it is pretty good for finding lectures.
-- "The story of petroleum," which is found in three parts at
(1) http://www.viddler.com/explore/roughneckradio/videos/3/
(2)
http://www.viddler.com/explore/roughneckradio/videos/4/
(3)
http://www.viddler.com/explore/roughneckradio/videos/5/
This is a recommendation from another friend. Unfortunately, it is a silent film. It is an old documentary, but the images are supposed to be pretty cool.
I hope this is helpful and not an overload of information. I will keep asking around the department for better recommendations. I hope you enjoy, Kevin!
Best Wishes,
Josie Nevitt
Karl and I just drove up to Canada to see Green Gables where Ann lived on Prince Edward Island. We listened to a lot of CANADIAN This is That a BROADCASTINGaka CBC and found 'This is that' a very radio show. Try ir at http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/ We heard the show on the 4th grade in Nova Scotia being cancelled. Have you had a chance to listen to Patrick's Geography teacher, the Plaid Avenger at plaidavenger.com? He's got a new podcast/plaidcast about Japan
Have you tried Ted Talks? They are free 20 min or less lectures by people who have done interesting things--go to Ted.com. You can pick any theme that looks interesting and listen to as many talks as you'd like.
Post a Comment