For the first time since he’s been home, we got Kevin to the upstairs floor of our house. On Sunday, Dad, Mom, Kathlin and I managed to carry Kevin upstairs (and back down again) while he was sitting in a plastic deck chair. When we split his weight between the four of us, Kevin wasn’t too difficult to carry. He kept laughing while we were carrying him in the chair because he felt like a king. We just needed a couple friends fanning him with palm fronds, and the scene would have been complete.
Once Kevin was upstairs, he watched the World Cup final game with the rest of the family. However, the game was made so slow and boring by the continuous fouling, so Kevin nearly fell asleep several times. He managed to shake himself awake to see the end of the game. Later that afternoon, he watched the preparation of Reuben sandwiches in our kitchen. We have been working through Kevin’s special requests for food, and Reubens was on his list. They enjoyed a late lunch / early dinner of what they described as awesome Reuben sandwiches. The sandwiches were all the more amazing because it was Dad’s first time making them, and he put in a lot of effort—he slow-cooked the corned beef for a couple days and made the cabbage from scratch. Kevin said it “felt like torture” to be in the kitchen and not be able to do anything, but we have since then talked with him about that. We are encouraging him to take that negative feeling of helplessness and turn it into something positive. If it feels horrible to not do anything, then next time he’s up there, we’ll make sure that he can do something. Plus, if he wants to do something that badly, he has a lot of incentive to practice the movements and work on it.
In previous weeks, Kevin has gotten nauseated on the Sunday nights that follow a Tuesday chemotherapy session. However, this Sunday he didn’t have any problems. We made sure we were staying on top of his nausea with anti-nausea medications, and he got through the afternoon and evening just fine.
Kevin is getting closer to being entirely off the oral steroids he’s been on since November. He is now at a very low amount per day. This is great news—it means his body is getting closer to handling the swelling on its own. However, the tough part at this stage of the weaning is the emotional and mental side effects of the steroids. Kevin’s body has grown so accustomed to having the steroids, so now that he is almost off of them, his body is trying to chemically rebalance, and his emotions are getting thrown all out of whack. Kevin needs a lot of pep talks and reminders about how well he’s doing, because his own brain likes to tell him otherwise while “the steroids are talking.” In the room where Kevin hangs out most of the time, we’ve started sticking post-its listing things he can now do that he couldn’t do just a few months ago. The progress is going so slowly that Kevin sometimes forgets he’s improving. However, when he’s reminded that he couldn’t eat a few months ago, he realizes how far he has come.
7 comments:
Hi Kevin,
You don't know me, but I heard about your blog from my sister Rachel, who just graduated from Colgate. I've been reading your blog and I'm pulling for you! Just wanted to let you know that there are lots of us who have you in our thoughts.
-Debbie
NYC
My goodness Kevin you have come such a long way, you are doing so much better and we're so glad that you have improved through your hard work and the endless dedication of Cathlin, Stacy and your mom and dad. Hang in there! Keeping good thoughts and positive energy for your continued improvement.
Many prayers and positive thoughts to you and yours,
The Cronin Family
MMmmm! Reuben sandwiches are your Uncle Karl's favorite sandwich. We shared your progress at church on Sunday, and many people send you their best wishes. I nearly fell asleep during the World Cup, too. If you haven't read any of the Plaid avenger book that we brought, crack it open. I used it to prepare for my trip to China next wek and it is the best coverage of the subject I have read.
Hi Kevin~ I love a Reuben with potato salad and a Claussen's pickle on the side! Then of course, some New York style cheesecake.Glad to hear you are eating again! Take care, Love, Christine
Hi Kevin! It is a beautiful day and we are sending our most special thoughts your way to let you know how great you are doing and how proud we are of your progress. We know it requires massive amounts of work on your part and all those that love you and are caring for you as well.
I watched some of the world cup games, but my people (the Portuguese) lost and then every team I was rooting for after lost as well. I was glad for Spain's win (Dr Rodriguez at the hospital must of been thrilled!)
I think the X games are about to begin. That should be a little more exciting!
I think I will have to try that mexican chocolate shake. Sounds delicious.
You and your family are always in our thoughts and our prayers and we wish you strength, love and continued progress.
Toni and Steve Runyon
Hi Kevin,
I am Kathy Moler's sister. She sent me your blog, and I have been following your amazing progress. I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers...hugs from Colorado...Deb
Dear Kevin,
We are keeping up to date with your progress through this blog and it is great to hear of your progress. Though slow, you are clearly progressing in a most positive way, It sounds like you had a great day with the family watching the final of the world cup. I can just picture the ride in the chair and happy you landed safely!
We are sending the most positive vibes to you daily. Although I am sure it is difficult to do, positive thinking is most powerful and healing.
Love to you and the family,
Kathy & Robert Moler
Post a Comment