
Kevin continues to improve on various things every day. The improvements are small, but sometimes can take us by surprise. I walked into Kevin’s room last night to ask if he wanted cookies for dessert, and he said in a perfectly clear and un-slurred voice, “I do want a cookie, but I probably shouldn’t,” seen as he had just finished half of a Snickers bar. My jaw dropped at how crisp his words were, and I told him he could have a cookie because his speech sounded so good.
Overall, his mood has improved as well. Yesterday he was a bit bummed out, but in general over the past week, he’s been pretty upbeat and positive, considering what he’s going through. He’s been smiling and laughing more often. He’s also been more actively engaged in his surroundings and feels more comfortable inserting comments into a situation. For example, when we were getting him out of the car one morning for outpatient therapy, Kevin reminded us to hang up the handicapped placard on the rearview mirror. He’s heard me sneezing like crazy (it’s a tough year for my allergies), and once when I walked through the room he was in, he stopped me and commented on how bad my allergies must be. A few weeks ago, he didn’t seem nearly as aware of his surroundings, and he didn’t feel confident enough to talk more than was absolutely essential.
Because of the up-and-down route we’ve had thus far, it’s hard for all of us to get too excited about the progress Kevin is making. However, the improvements this time around seem to be occurring more quickly and compounding to create even better progress.
Thank you for beginning to send in birthday cards! This will be a great way for Kevin to comprehend how much support he has around the world. His birthday is in a little over a week, so if you haven’t yet sent a card or postcard, there’s still time. Thank you again for being part of such a wonderful support network for Kevin and our family!

.jpg)
2 comments:
Dearest Kevin
We are so proud of you and are so thrilled when we hear of your improvements. I know there are so many people in many parts of the world who keep you in their prayers and thoughts. We keep the candles lit in our hearts as we send you and your entire family strength and love, Stay Strong Kevin.
With Love from Toni and Steve
Kevin, I'll be participating in the Saratoga relay for life tomorrow--in honor of you and of Joni Eareckson Tada, the founder of the organization I work for. I'm not sure I'll be able to take a picture of the luminary, but there will be one with your name on it as everyone walks. I'll be thinking of you as I watch the survivors walk. Some day I hope you'll be walking one of those laps!!!
Post a Comment