Yesterday turned out to be more eventful than expected. The power outage became a major problem at the hospital. At one point in time, all of Stanford Hospital’s backup power systems failed. The scene was pretty chaotic, with what seemed like hundreds of people running around the ICU and yelling at each other. Kevin’s wing of the hospital had very unreliable power, and because he is still on the ventilator, he needs reliable electricity. They moved him to another ICU in a different wing of the hospital, where they had more stable backup power. After the normal electricity came back on and stayed on, he was transferred to yet another ICU. The moves stressed Kevin out, but at least he didn’t have any major issues while the power was out.
Today, thankfully, the power is staying on. Kevin received radiation this afternoon, and he can resume watching the Olympics while he’s resting. The rest of us are in a holding pattern, providing love and support when we can go into his room and just making sure everything is at least stable, if not slowly improving.
7 comments:
I've been thinking about all of you every day. I'm sending you all the good energy I can.
Love,
Claudia
I was worried about Kevin's ventilator and the power situation. The news reported that Stanford hospital was on backup power and that they cancelled non-emergency surgeries. I was hoping that inpatients were safe.....especially ICU patients....and particularly Kevin.
Glad the power is back and that Kevin received radiation today. Hope he continues his progress ...slow and steady is good.....sending love and prayers.
Bob, Sandy and Joshua.
I can't believe the backup power would fail in a hospital, particularly in an ICU. That must have been pretty scary for you all. I'm very glad to hear Kevin got through it alright and is receiving radiation.
I'm thinking of you everyday - thank you again Stacy for keeping us all up-to-date.
Slow and steady hard work is what is winning gold medals in Vancouver. So keep it up Kevin.
With all my love and support,
Cindy
I didn't realize there were so many ICU's at Stanford! I am so glad Kevin, and you all are through that ordeal. I can imagine how scary and chaotic it must of been. Hopefully Kevin got to see Sean White complete an amazing snowboard competition. That kind of display comes from the heart. No amount of technical expertise could compete with that. (of course, having your own half-pipe with helicoptor service couldn't hurt!)
We are sending our love and prayers to you too as well as the staff at Dominican.
Love Toni and Steve
Dear Carolyn and family,
I only recently realized that it was your Kevin going through this ordeal. Kevin's condition had been announced at our church. I believe he went to St. Andrew pre-school. I want you to know that I have been praying for all of you as has our church family.
Much love,
Sharon Allshouse
Today is the first day I've had internet access since leaving for the Philippines last Friday. Not knowing how to pray specifically, I've been praying daily for Kev's protection, and for the 4 of you incredible cheerleaders. As I read the blogs, it sounds like I missed a stressful and frustrating week. Praying the blood absorbs quickly and that radiation effectively smother Steve and Bob. Lots of love, Debbie LIllo
Dear Williams Family,
Meghan has been giving me verbal updates on Kevin and she came down today and helped me find your blog. Thank you Stacey for being the voice of your family in such clear and loving words. I just caught myself up on all the entries - ohmygod... Kevin - you get the gold medal for patience and determination. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. love, Danielle Dorrian
Post a Comment