Thursday, February 11, 2010

Small World, Big Day

Yesterday, we met Beth, the oncology resident now assigned to Kevin’s case. She walked into Kevin’s room and asked Kathlin, “so, did you go to Colgate too?” Beth is a Colgate alumna who graduated in 1998. We’ve gained one more member of the Colgate community who is pulling for Kevin’s success!

We were told yesterday that they would try to take the ET tube out early this morning, but when we arrived today, Kevin still had the tube in. The doctors and nurses continued to waver back and forth, unable to make a decision about taking out the tube or putting in a tracheostomy. Finally, around 4 p.m., they decided to give Kevin a trial extubation.

They took the tube out and let him breathe on his own, but we discovered that he has some upper respiratory problems. His breathing was extremely labored, and he probably would not have been able to keep it up for a long period of time. His lungs are strong (thank you water polo), but there are a number of factors that could be weakening his control of his vocal chords, swallowing, etc. His very labored breathing led them to sedate him and reinsert an ET tube, and they plan to put in a tracheostomy. We obviously were hoping that Kevin might be able to breathe and protect his airway on his own, but at least it doesn’t seem like there was any harm done while trying to extubate Kevin.

Kevin is first on the waiting list to receive a trache, so we desperately hope he’ll receive it tomorrow. We’ve been through several holidays since this all began, so we know that elective procedures simply don’t get done over three-day weekends. The trache will bypass Kevin’s upper respiratory issues and make his breathing easier. He will also be more comfortable with the trache than he is now with the ET tube down his throat.

I’m sorry to end on a negative note… but we also learned today that Kevin has developed a small pneumonia. He is on antibiotics to clear it up, so let’s hope the antibiotics do their work quickly and efficiently.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the fight Kevin. Not a day goes by that we don't think of you.

FSEM 112

toni runyon said...

Dearest William's
Today I light a candle for all of you to give you continued hope and strength. To remind you of Kevins youth and strength to get through this new obstacle. Everytime I pass by the light, I will say a prayer for you all as you continue Kevins's fight and stand vigilant by his side.
Love Toni and Steve Runyon

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you everyday and miss you all at Kirkwood!
Hugs to all, O'Grady's

Lynn Myers said...

Well, we will all just have to work alot harder on our end since Kevin is! More hugs and prayers coming!

Anonymous said...

I know that I speak for SO many people at RMG when I wish you all the very best, and I want you to know that we are pulling for Kevin and your family in a big way. We really appreciate the blog to keep us up to date with accurate information, rather than relying on the rumor mill. Even those of us who know Kevin just a little bit are very concerned and are agonizing over this turn of events. You are a beautiful family. Stay strong, and know how many hearts are yearning for Kevin's well-being.

Janine Honey

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin and company,

Bob and I are about to head south a few miles to Colgate (Hamilton) for a bite to eat... we'll be thinking of you and Kathlin like always. Wishing we could do more to help the cause, but please know that you are in our constant prayers and thoughts.

Whenever I see someone who bears the scar of a trach, I wonder what ordeal that individual came through. I always think that courage is part of that individuals story. I look forward to seeing your scar, Kevin. Keep the faith, keep fighting...

Love & prayers, Mary Jo and Bob

Robert Moler said...

Dear Williams Family,
Thank you so much for this blog and updates as we continue to pray for Kevin and follow his condition as it keeps changing. Please know you are in our daily thoughts. We only wish there was something we could do to make this hardship go away and for Kevin to recover. We will continue to hold Kevin in our prayers daily.
Hugs,
Robert & Kathy

Anonymous said...

We hope that you can take some comfort in the incredible support that your medical team is providing. It seems that the love and strength of your family is inspiring some true acts of devotion. Know that you are all in the hearts and minds of so many friends wishing and praying for Kevin. Continue to huddle together and stay as strong as you need to be. Much love, Ann and Doug Darling

Post a Comment