Kevin passed away this evening at sunset. We kept him comfortable throughout the day. He had increasing difficulty breathing, but we gave him enough medication to keep him comfortable. His passing was calm and peaceful. He did not appear to be in any pain and was not agitated. We realized his time was limited about 30 minutes before he died, so we all got a chance to say goodbye.
Tyler, one of Kevin’s friends from childhood, flew in from Sweden this afternoon. Tyler made it to our house this afternoon and sat at the foot of Kevin’s bed for the last few hours of Kevin’s life.
Kathlin, Mom, Dad, Tyler and I surrounded Kevin when he passed away.
Kevin lived much longer than any doctors predicted back in January. There were people back then who wrote Kevin off, and he made it to October. Kevin worked very hard and struggled a lot during that time, but he also had several small and sacred victories. There were also some fun and joyous moments we got to share as a family that would have never materialized if he had passed in January. While we’re devastated to lose Kevin now, we have been blessed with ten months with Kevin that many people expected we wouldn’t have.
We send countless thanks to the thousands of you for your love throughout Kevin’s illness. We will keep you informed about services.
60 comments:
Dear Kevin,
Your life was a blessing. You were loved by so many and you touched every life you came in contact with. You were a role model to me and I always looked up to you. You knew me my entire life and you were my big brother. I will always remember skiing with you and going out on the mountain day after day to shred up the slopes. Every time I go down our favorite runs I will remember KGF, Kevin goes first. You were always so brave, and any drop that seemed terrifying to me became a piece of cake after you stomped it and made the first tracks for me to follow in. We had so many great chairlift rides and you always had such great advice and stories to share with me. Spending time with you at Kirkwood, winter and summer, was the best, and I will remember our adventures together forever.
You had a beautiful life, you did amazing things, and everywhere you went love followed you. I miss you and you will always be in my heart.
Love forever,
Joshua
Kevin,
It was too soon for you and all I can think is the unfairness of it all. Despite your short time, your life affected so many people all over the globe; you will be remembered and missed dearly. Kathlin, my heart is breaking for you, and you have all of the support you can ask for.
With love and support,
Kara
My heart breaks for your family and for Kathlin....
~Michelle Jacobsen
Something told me I needed to read Kevin's blog this morning...there's a sadness in my heart and tears on my cheeks, but a knowledge that Kevin is at peace because you all took such good care of him. May your love and memories ease your sorrow. I need to go to the beach and get some ice cream from Marianne's. With love from Paul, Kathy & D.J. Parenti
Dear Kevin, I will remember you fondly. Mostly,all the volleyball games with you and Max and Tyler and all the excitement that went with it. You were a support for Max when he needed you and you also shared in his good times. You had an amazing family and a loving girlfriend. Though your life was short, you were blessed in many ways. Love, Christine
So sad. RIP Kevin. We'll never forget the way your eyes sparkled when you smiled. I won't forget the conversations we exchanged during Whalen's Spanish class...or the AIM convos we had. You had such a big heart. I hope you're somewhere beautiful and peaceful but also a place with excitement because I think you really liked that. I won't forget you.
Dear Kevin
You are forever in our hearts and we shall always remember your bravery as you fought an enemy with unlimited power, but as strong as the cancer was, it could never overcome the love and strength of Kathlin and your family. That love has always inspired us and reminded us how precious every day should be. Today, may we all show our love to all our own family and friends and tell them how much they mean to us in honor of you.
May God bless you and give peace to your family
We send our love and prayers to you Kathlin, Carolyn, Rich and Stacey.
Toni and Steve Runyon
Kevin,
I was so blessed to have known you, to have shared even small glimpses of time with you. I will always remember you as a kind, caring, smart, funny, athletic, and giving individual and your time in all our of our lives was too short. It is a relief however, that you are in a peaceful place and have the chance to watch over the ones you love. No one will ever forget you. Your presence in our all of our lives was far too meaningful. Rest in peace.
Sincerely,
Marina Salazar
I will miss you incredibly, I remember all of those late night talks we used to have in high school. You were always willing to call my house through relay first. Very few of my friends ever tried calling me, because it was too complex. You will always have a special place in my heart. My thoughts are with your family & Kathlin. Love, Amber
lighting a candle for you kevin, to keep your spirit burning bright, and for your wonderful, inspiring family and friends. the strength and closeness you have demonstrated through this is a standard most families could only wish to have. you all are in our thoughts.
much love from bronwyn, justin, joanne, and karl
Kevin was honestly one of, if not the most, sincerest, nicest, and genuine person I grew up going to school with. My wishes and thoughts are with the Williams family. Kevin gave us so much in too short of a time. I will forever remember and miss going to the slopes with Kevin on the Aptos High snow club trips, among many other great memories. You will always be missed.
Spenser Troiano
Rich & Carolyn, we know all too well that there are no words to ease the pain. But remember this: you raised one great son. Stacey, thank you so much for keeping us informed. What a terrific sister/daughter you have proven to be. Kathlin, you have shown unbelievable strength throughout this ordeal. Kevin was blessed to have you at his side. Our hearts go out to the entire family.
May Kevin rest in peace with our precious Rianna.
With love from Scott, Tania, Matt, Graham & Noelle
May God bless all of you and bring you peace. As someone else said, let our gift for Kevin be to appreciate every day and everyone in it.
Peace.
Rich and Carolyn, Chuck and I are overwhelmed with sadness for you all. You are a beautiful family. Thinking of you a lot - Dori and Chuck Boyles
I hardly even knew you however you were a friend of my daughter Amanda White at Valencia elementry school. I have followed this blog since it started and I know Kevin you gave it your all and so did your family. Was very inspired with this story to live life to the fullest with all our might. God bless you and all your family and may you rest in peace
I will always remember your parents walking on Day Valley road and saying hello to them.
Lori White
Your family and Kathlin have been through so much and are an inspiration to all of us. Your dedication, strength and love was a gift to Kevin just like he was a gift to all who knew him. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love Tracy Piatti
Kevin,
I'm sorry to say I didn't know you that well, but freshman year we lived together in Curtis. You made living there a great thing because you were always so kind and polite. I know you've done great things in the short time you had and have touched so many people. You've found peace and I hope your family and loved ones can someday too.
Kaela Chow
Dearest Carolyn,Rich,Stacey and angle Kathlin, My sadness fell out when I heard Rich's voice yesterday. You all have been beacons of strength and love for Kevin giving him more time! Let the tears wash away some of the pain. Can't fathom the loss and yet knowing how strong you all have been for Kevin..there must be some peace in your heart knowing his struggle is over and he is in a better place.
Sending our angels over to lift you up... love in our thoughts and prayers.. Connie,JohnJonathan,Alex and Brian
Our love and thoughts continue to Carolyn, Rich, Stacey and Kathlin as you continue to bear the unbearable. Your combined courage, love and support to Kevin are an inspiration. You're always in our thoughts
Sena and Gary Dolowich
My heart breaks, into more pieces I thought imaginable. But with all these broken pieces, I send them to Kevin's family and friends. I send every ounce of love I have to those that supported him, who loved him, and gave him strength. I only wish I'd known him better. I pray that he's in a nice warm, loving place, with all our love keeping him company.
Tiona (Foster) McChesney
My heart breaks for you all - I will always remember Kevin as a bright eyed- happy go lucky little guy at Valencia. He and Robert where my favorite boys in Pams class. My thoughts and prayers to out to you all. Take comfort in the times you shared together, those memories will see you through this sad time. Sue Emmert
I am so sorry for your incredible loss. Your strength, courage, love, and perseverance throughout Kevin's illness has been such an inspiration. I lived on the same floor as Kevin during our freshman year at Colgate, and I feel so blessed to have known him. We all at Colgate, and especially the Class of 2010, have missed Kevin and Kathlin both over the last 10 months, and will continue to honor Kevin's memory whenever we gather together. To the Williams family and Kathlin dear, I am so sorry for your loss and I wish that I could give you more than these words, thoughts, and prayers to comfort you.
Sending so much love your way,
Megan Heise
We are so sorry to hear about Kevin. He brought such joy and enthusiasm to everything he did - whether he was creating some masterpiece in the kitchen, gliding down the slopes, thrashing about in the pool, or playing volleyball he always had those beautiful twinkling eyes. You have all been amazing throughout this difficult time and your incredible love for your family is inspiring. It is Kevin's turn to watch over all of you now as you have watched over him.
Lots of Love,
Libby, Scott, Kathryn, Garrett, & Deirdre Wilson
Our hearts go out to all of you for the fight that you and Kevin went through these last ten months. Kevin was such an amazing person and we feel lucky to have known him all the way back to good old Valencia days. He will truly be missed and his warm smile and genuine, loving attitude will never be forgotten.
With Love,
Mike, Sally, Shaun, Erin, Quinn, and Colin Gruber
Kevin always seemed to be such a happy guy, and that doesn't happen without good parents. You two did an amazing job and have so much to be grateful for, and proud of, in that wonderful son you raised. May he rest in peace, and may Carolyn and Rich rest with the memories that were so good.
Even though I never met you, Kevin, I know that you were a good friend to my sister, Rachel, when you were at Colgate. I hope that you are at peace, and that your family takes comfort in knowing how much they cared for you when it really mattered.
Much love.
I will never forget the first day that I met Kevin. It was the first day of ski team practice our freshmen year and I was so nervous, and then there was Kevin - smiling with his twin tips telling me how fun it was going to be. I was so struck and touched by his genuineness, kindness and free spirit. He was an amazing guy, truly a good person. I know he will be missed and never forgotten. I am so sorry and I hope his family and friends can find peace. (Kathlin - you have dealt with so much, I'm so sorry, I am praying for you).
My love and condolences
*Deena Mueller
Dear Williams Family:
Our hearts go out to you at this time. We have
appreciated this blog because it kept us informed about how Kevin was doing-but it also gave us a chance to see how incredibly brave, strong and loving ALL of you are. Kevin's courage and determination was awe-inspiring.
How lucky you were to have had Kevin in your life and how lucky he was to have you and to have found such a true and loyal love in Kathlin.
Our memories of Kevin started with that sweet little pre-school face and we are glad to have had to have the opportunity to have watched him grow through the years into a strong and wonderful young man.
Our love and thoughts are with you.
The Velasquez Family
Maryann, Manny, Brian, Kevin & Daniel
Kathlin and the Williams family --I am so sad to hear about Kevin's death, and my heart goes out to you and your family. I had the pleasure of knowing Kevin through Colgate's Geography Department and was crushed when I heard what he and Kathlin were going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time...
Love,
Alli Taylor
While we did not know Kevin well, we did have the pleasure of enjoying his visit on his way east traveling back to Colgate. We know that Kevin served as an important mentor for our son Chip who enjoyed being Kevin's fraternity and water polo brother. We are truly thankful for the impact he has had on our son's life and for the joy he brought to many others in his company. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we take comfort knowing that Kevin is now at peace with a loving God. Our love to your family.
Don and Patty Molten
Kevin, rest in peace and love. You were blessed to have had your family and friends. To Carolyn, Rich, Stacey and Kathlin, sorrow doesn't begin to cover our feelings. We will always remember Kevin.
Dear Williams family and Kathlin,
My thoughts and prayers have been with you over the last few days. I am so sorry to hear about the sad news of Kevin's passing. He has an amazing family and even though I have never met Kathlin, I feel like I know her through her posts on the website. You are all a true testimonial of the love that you felt for Kevin. May you find peace in the good memories that you have of him. God Bless you....
Liz Donatini
Dear Williams Family and Kathlin,
I met Kevin in Volcanology sophomore year. I will always remember we were playing a 'getting to know you' game and I kept calling Kevin Trevor by mistake. He would just smile, correct me and laugh...especially when I was still getting it wrong weeks later. Kevin was a wonderful, kind and fun guy and definitely brightened up those late night labs. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Meg Crackel
I am so sad about Kevin's passing. He always had the greatest smile. And, what a fighter. You all were warriors (vikings) to fight this dreaded enemy. My heart breaks for all of you.
Dianna Higginbotham
Dear Carolyn, Rich, Stacey and Kathlin,
We love you all and we will keep Kevin in our hearts forever. We treasure our memories of the many shared experiences we had from preschool through high school and we thank you for sharing these last 10 months so openly - what strength, love, and determination you have shown us all. Sending big, strong hugs to all of you. With Deep Sympathy and Love, Martha, Jenny and Brian Shedden
My heart goes out to the Williams family and Kathlin. I'm so speechless I really dont know what to say. Rest in Paradise Kevin.
-Ricky J
So many hearts are broken today on hearing of your loss. And I believe that hearts never heal completely -- there will always be a scar. And we wouldn't want it any other way.
Love from Jeannie and the Merrill family, David, Amy and Daniel
Dear Williams family and Kathlin,
My heart and thoughts fly to you. I fondly recall the Kirkwood visit during one winter vacation, stopping in Chicago to see Stacey's tap show, and the cross-country trip that Kevin and I made at the end of freshman year. I am honored to have had Kevin as a friend.
Yours warmly,
Lauren Harries
Dear Carolyn, Rich, Stacy and Kathlin,
We have such fondness for Kevin and will never forget his kindness to our exchange student, Ba, at Aptos High. He was an exceptional person and we are so sad to lose him. We send our deepest condolences to all of you.
Love,
Nora and John Boothby
We are so saddened and sorry to hear of your deep loss. You ALL are an inspiration to the rest of the world; your positive preserverance at NEVER giving up enabled Kevin to enjoy his family that much more. Although he was our daughters friend and classmate, my husband and I were always impressed at what a polite, respectful and happy young man you raised. Seeing his eyes twinkle at all those water polo tournaments will never be forgotten. Much prayers, peace and love ~ Ashly, Cindy & Robert Vineyard
We am grateful for all that Kevin gave us. His big bear hugs, his easy smile, that wonderful twinkle in his eyes, his genuine interest in other's, his caring & concern, his great stories and sage advise, his warm and comfortable company, his sense of humor, humbleness, and most special of all....his love. Kevin was such a special, thoughtful and sensitive person. In other words (yiddish), he was a true mensch.
He was trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, and brave. He would have been a perfect Boy Scout! We were so proud of Kevin. He was everything you would want your son to be.
We watched him grow up at Kirkwood, sharing many meals, TV time, New Year's celebrations, Nintendo duos, shuttle and chair lift rides. It was fun for our kids to have Kevin and Stacy to hang out with.
Time flew, then off to college he went. Carolyn and Rich kept us up to date on Kevin's adventures and activities at Colgate. He was happy and in LOVE, and preparing to launch into the next phase of his life.... and then he got sick.
His life ended way too soon and we morn deeply his death.
To Rich, Carolyn, Stacy and Kathlin and all of Kevin's family, we express our deepest sympathy. Words cannot express how sad we are for you.
We will cherish the memories we have of Kevin and his memory will forever live in my hearts.
With love,
Bob and Sandy Goldberg
Dear Williams Family, We are so terribly sorry for the loss of your incredible son, brother, and fiance. Although I never knew Kevin personally I have only heard amazing, wonderful things about him. Please know that our prayers are with you and that your love, support and beautiful example of a family bond will never be forgotten.
With love, The Maher Family
1st of all, let me say how profoundly sad we are at Kevin's death. Like everyone else, we truely hoped for some miracle to restore him to the person we knew a year ago.
So, no longer is kevin a suffering soul, a failing body or a victim of cruel fate. Kevin is once again the skier and the surfer and the traveler and the lover and the laugher we will remember him as.
We all will pass on from this world one day, and we all hope that we will be remembered; that we will leave something of value behind.
Kevin lived his life to the fullest, and as is often true of such brave souls, his candle burned brightly and all to quickly. But Kevin has acheived the imortality we all hope for. He has left us with a story of bravery and battle and courage for the ages.
Although most of us only knew him briefly before a year ago, thousands of us shared his life and his pain and his tears, day by day. We spoke of him with our loved ones, our hearts ached with every new turn in his path, and we prayed to our God for his deliverence. We all came to know him in an intimate way and he changed all our lives forever.
None of us will ever forget him.
Bill Powers
Dear Neighbors,
Both Laura and I were devastated by Kevin's passing. It was given to us to look down on your home each day – just a few feet away – and take in the import of the extraordinary events unfolding there. We know we stand in a long line to mourn your beloved son, and we take some comfort for ourselves knowing we are part of a worldwide embrace that holds you now and has held you over the months. Every time we thought of Kevin, our thoughts went our own Darrick, and we grew to cherish our family as never before.
I was a Hospice volunteer in the early 80's, and have walked down this path with many families. Ironically, one of them was a 22-year-old woman also dying of cancer. Her name was Beth Blanchette and on the day before she died she handed us a note. It read like this: "When I come to the edge of all the light I have, and I take that step into the darkness, I have full faith that either my foot will land on something solid or I will be taught how to fly."
There is no doubt in my mind that every member of your household, even Chamois, will ride to heaven on Kevin's shoulders. It is said that the opportunities to truly be of service to others are the greatest opportunities in life, and you have all risen gloriously to the test. And while Laura and I are heartbroken, we are also very proud of you.
Kevin's heart still beats in the bodies of your global family, and those who cherish his memory. And across that brief threshold that we call death, we still feel his presence with neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honor abated. Goodbye, Kevin, and thank you for all you gave us – we are blessed to have been the recipients of that giving.
Over the passing months, every day as we would drive by your home we said a prayer. We continue to do so.
Josh & Laura
Williams family and of course Kathlin, my heart goes out to you in the loss of Kevin. Although I only knew him through my daughter Kaitlin and then through this blog, I stand in awe at his courage and determination in the battle he fought. Your dedication to his treatment and refusal to give in to the naysayers gave him and you those precious last months together. Through the low, difficult spots, but also those bright moments that made it all worthwhile. Those are the memories that you will be able to hold close to your hearts in the difficult days ahead. With sympathy, thoughts and prayers, Karen Tufts & family
Dear Williams Family and Kathlin:
I am out of the area right now and just received word of Kevin's passing. I want to send you my regards and let you know I am horribly sorry for your loss. Kevin was a was a spectacular man and one of the kindest and most jovial people I ever got the chance to meet. I remember the way he was always laughing and joking around and that he unconsciously brightened the day of everyone he came in contact with.
It is a loss to the entire world that we are unable to spend more time with such a unique and enjoyable person, but he is finally at peace now.
With love, Brian Velasquez
Dear Carolyn,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wonderful family. I didn't know Kevin well but can tell by his blog what a wonderful person he was and how much joy he brought to everyone's path he crossed. Kevin put up a heroic fight with the passionate and loving support of his family, friends and his love Kathlin. Rest In Peace Kevin.
With much love, Mari, Leann and the rest of the Alameda Family.
Dear Williams family,
I am sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved son, and by the outpouring of support on these pages you can see how many lives Kevin touched and still continues to influence to this day. The legacy of love and courage he left is what life is really made of. I keep you in my prayers.
Lynn Finger
Kevin, Kathlin, and the Williams family are all in my thoughts and prayers. Kevin-- thanks for all the great memories, especially from freshman year. You will always be remembered with love <3
Kathleen
To the family of Kevin,
Our thoughts here at Domincian Lab are with you all. We send loving prayers to Kevin and all of you as you journey through this time.
RIP Kevin. You are a great soul and I know that even if your not in your old vessel you will be among your family and friends. To the Williams family, your son was a great man and will always be remembered very fondly. Sending my prayers and blessings.
-Noah
Dear Williams family & Kathlin,
My deepest sympathy to you all. Kevin was a wonderful & courageous young man and although I only met him a few times, his strength strength of character were always evident. Rest in peace, Kevin, and may all your hearts heal with the passage of time.
Wendy Harries (Lauren Harries', Colgate '12, mom)
Dear Family and Kathlin:
Your difficult journey the past year has been filled with caring, compassion and love. The expressions posted above and those to come are a testament to Kevin's essence. We know there will be celebration of Kevin's life and his wonderful impact on all of our lives in the days ahead. Meanwhile, we hope this poem provides some comfort.
Craig, Robin, Maureen and Gavin
"Peace, my heart, let the time for the parting be sweet. Let it not be a death but completeness. Let love melt into memory and pain into songs. Let the flight through the sky end in the folding of the wings over the nest. Let the last touch of your hands be gentle like the flower of the night. Stand still, O Beautiful End, for a moment, and say your last words in silence. I bow to you and hold up my lamp to light you on your way."
Rabindranath Tagore
Dearest Carolyn, Rich, Stacy and Kathlin,
My heart breaks with yours as I try to imagine your grief and pain. I've been so very awed by how you've navigated the last year, and that gives me confidence as I pray that you have the strength to navigate these next days and months. Carolyn, when you are ready, Bailey and I owe you a walk on the beach!
With much, much love and many prayers,
Debbie Lillo
Take care Williams family. My deepest sympathy. Jean Manning
Although Kevin and I lost touch over the last few years, he will always hold a place in my heart. They say you will never forget your first kiss, but I have so much more to remember him by. His charisma and personality always stood out in a room. He could always turn any situation into an enjoyable one. He was the first person to have the patience to teach me to snowboard, he pushed me to succeed in school, he helped me grow into who I am today. I spent two wonderful years with him by my side in high school and I will forever have those wonderful memories. I am so thankful I was able to know him so closely at one point in his life and I am still in disbelief that he is gone. I have followed this blog since the beginning and always thought Kevin would pull through and return to that incredibly courageous and adventurous person I remember him as. Unfortunately optimism isn't always a cure, but he will forever be remembered and in my thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace Kevin.
My love and condolences go to everyone in his life today.
Dear Carolyn and family,
It was with the deepest sadness when we heard of Kevin's passing. We have had all of you in our thoughts and prayers these long hard months. May the love of God, family and friends along with your warm memories comfort you. In sympathy and love, Sharon and David Allshouse
Dear Kathlin, and the Williams Family,
I had the pleasure of playing water polo with Kevin in college. I am so profoundly sorry and saddened by the loss of Kevin; he was a stellar teammate, an excellent team leader, and one of my favorite people at Colgate. He touched a lot of lives; I am thankful that I had the privilege of getting to know him, and I know that there are many others who feel the same way. Kevin will always be remembered with love, my thoughts and prayers are with you, Mike Wooldridge Colgate '08
Dear Carolyn, Rich, and Stacey,
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this incredibly sad time. From the happy, cheerful preschool kid, to the friendly remarkable young man he grew to be, Kevin will always remain in our hearts. Kevin, we will never forget you. Rest in peace.
Sincerely, Rick Shedden and Family
rest in peace kevin,
sending some positive vibrations for the williams family and Kathlin,
kevin you fought the fight of your life surrounded by your awesome support group, made up of family, close friends and Kathlin. You shall be remembered for being you, a caring guy always willing to give a helping hand to others. Traveling thru this life near and far, walking with a smile on your face and spreading a good laugh.
"When I come to the edge of all the light I have, and I take that step into the darkness, I have full faith that either my foot will land on something solid or I will be taught how to fly."
you shall be remembered
cheers mate'
-benjamin blanchette
Post a Comment