Overall, radiation continues to go well. Kevin is very tired after his radiation sessions, which have unfortunately been scheduled for the morning. Therefore, he doesn’t have much energy during afternoon physical and occupational therapy sessions. However, he continues to be an excellent sport and give the therapy sessions his best shot. We are so proud of his hard work and patience.
Kevin has been living with a quiet, agreeable, fine-finned roommate: Fred the beta fish. Michele’s son had the wonderful idea of giving beta fish to hospital patients, so soon after Kevin arrived at Stanford, Michele visited with a fish in tow. I learned from my old beta fish (RIP Tofurkey) that they DO have personalities, are entertaining to watch and can be fun to take care of. Inspired by alliteration, Kevin named the fish Fred. Fred is dark Colgate red and sits beneath Kevin’s “LIVESTRONG” poster and Colgate pennant. Fred is pretty low-key, but he gets excited whenever anyone approaches him around feeding time. Kevin’s appetite has started to mirror Fred’s; Kevin has finally started to feel hungry, and he’s been eating more.
The high point today was a visit from Sir Flint, a black lab therapy dog. Paws for Patients bring very well-trained and calm dogs to visit patients, and we are thrilled that they finally stopped by. Sir Flint jumped onto a chair and put his front paws and head on Kevin’s bed. As much as we love Chammy, she wouldn’t behave well enough to stop there; she’d jump into bed and roll all over Kevin. It was wonderful to see Kevin smile as he pet Sir Flint. Kevin even laughed when Sir Flint “waved” goodbye with a paw when he left the room. We hope to meet several more therapy dogs in the coming weeks!
7 comments:
It sounds as if things are going well. I too well know what it is like to live in that hospital environment and my heart goes out to you all. I do remember one very funny experience at Stanford when the kids and I pondered the sign beside the elevator which said "Do not get in the elevator with the robot" Dave even took a picture of it while we wondered what evil might befall that person who dared to share the elevator with the robot (kind of like don't get on the elevator alone with a stranger if you are a woman in a deserted parking garage etc...) So I am thinking of you with love and strong strong wishes for positive outcomes.
Love, Jeannie Herrick Merrill
Hi Williams,
So my question is what is a beta fish? One still in testing?
Fred has always been a favorite name, right up there with Bob. Now Andrewbob is a really awesome name.
Watch out for those robots in the elevators.
Love, Murphys
I'm so glad to hear there are therapy dogs at Stanford! I know as someone who has grown up with dogs (and esp goldens), just like Kev and Stacy, it really does lift your spirits to be around them.
Keep on fighting... I'm sending you strength and love.
Love, Naomi
hi kevin
Thinking of how amazing the healing powers of a dog are. I think it's great to have a fish for a little company, no snoring either!! I didn't realize Beta fish (aka Fred) have a personality
either. We have a jr bull frog in our aquarium with our red ear slider turtles and I get to dig worms out of the compost bin to feed him when Steve is away. Ick! Thinking of you all and sending 1000's of healing prayers your way
Love Toni and Steve
Ick!
Hi Kevin, Stacy, Rich and Carolyn,
I agree with Stacy that fish can be fun to watch. I used to "fish-sit" for a neighbor and before we fed the fish (named Fish) we were told to make the fish do "laps". We would run a finger around the edge of the bowl and the fish would chase it. I'm not kidding- I didn't believe until I saw it. So maybe you can teach Fred to do laps (move up to surfing or water polo??)
Hope you had a restful weekend to gain energy for the week of radiation. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Nancy and Dave
Dear Kevin, Stacy, Rich & Carolyn,
I have been following the blog and it is so great to feel a little closer and gather up all of the positive energy from those that love you all. I just returned from a trip to Jalisco, Mexico where I said prayers in a cathedral called San Juan de los Lagos. Miracles happen there! I prayed for Kevin.
Over the holidays, our family watched the elf video and Kevin and Stacy were the most adorable of all of the elves!! I will make a copy for you if you no longer have it.
We are sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts - Love to the family, Kathy, Robert, Sean, Kira, Lisa & our black lab, Oliver
Dear Kevin, Carolyn, Rich and Stacy:
I'm so glad Chammy got to visit and now Sir Flint. Of all people I know how much a dog(s) can bring comfort and positive-energy. Doubt my four would by received very well though - anywhere.
Kevin hang in there! I hope the new week's treatments bring even more improvment.
Stacy, than you for this means of keeping us all "connected."
Love to you all.
Post a Comment