Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kevin's Blog

On December 30, Kevin was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his brain stem. We were initially told that the pathology showed a grade 4 glioma, an extremely aggressive and incurable type of tumor. Further review of the biopsy material raised the possibility of a medulloblastoma, which is accompanied with a much better prognosis. A medulloblastoma correlates with Kevin’s symptoms over the last few months. It also correlates with the shape and location of the tumor. Final pathology is pending, but all reports from the physicians are pointing to a medullobastoma.

While Kevin’s survival chances are much better if the tumor is indeed a medulloblastoma, he still has a big fight ahead of him. The tumor is inoperable because of its location in his brain stem. Kevin is gearing up for 6 weeks of radiation therapy, which would probably be followed by chemotherapy. Kevin will stay at Stanford to do the treatment. Radiation therapy will start next week.

Kevin’s and our spirits have been much higher the past few days after hearing the news that the tumor may not be a glioma. The hope that his tumor might be able to be cured has given us a second wind. We’ve strapped our fighting gloves on and we’re aiming to take this thing down. We are all picturing Kevin playing water polo, skiing like a champ and kneeboarding at the Hook and Manresa in hopes that he will be able to do those things again.

Thank you to everyone who has sent us your prayers, positive thoughts and help. This blog will be the central area where you can check on Kevin. Feel free to leave any comments and words of encouragement that you’d like to pass on to Kevin.

44 comments:

Lynn Myers said...

Who says well wishes, prayer and positive thoughts from those who care don't make a difference!!!!

Peter Klepeis said...

I'm glad to hear the most recent news about the prospects for treatment. Keep those fighting gloves on! You are in our thoughts. Peter

Jacob Powers said...

I know your going to get through this Kevin!!! Keep fighting man were all behind you the whole way!!

Julz said...

You have a battalion of warriors behind you! We are clothed in the armor of FAITH, LOVE and PRAYERS. Our aim is fixed on VICTORY. We will settle for nothing less. We love you Kevin, we're here for you! Much love, Julee "Julz" Konshoj

Connie Soja said...

What a boost to hear about the latest diagnosis. Best wishes to Kevin for a complete recovery. Sending lots of positive energy to Kevin and his family.

--Connie Soja

Bruce Selleck said...

The folks in the Geology Department are pushing positive thoughts across the continent. Keep fighting!

Courtney Spalding-Mayer said...

Thank you for starting this blog. Thinking of you Kevin and all the strength that you and your family have to pull through this!!

Ellen Georgi said...

I am still visualizing Kevin on the slopes and running up the hills at Kirkwood for a Frisby golf game. I will be at the Grand Canyon with you when you are ready to travel.

Romain Lazerand said...

I just got back from Kevin's favorite place: Kirkwood. I went down some of the runs I would not do with him when we went 4 years ago because I was scared. But after this long fall semester and hard beginning of the year, there is nothing to be scared about and I did those runs for Kevin.
Kev, my prayers, wishes, and hopes are behind you and your family. You will get through it, and with time, we will be back on the slopes tearing through Kirkwood's Wall
: )

Love,

Ro

Unknown said...

Thank you, Stacy for starting this blog. The new diagnosis gives so much hope. With the power of Love and Prayer we will help you defeat this cancer Kevin. Sending love from Nebraska. Nancy Brown

Susan Murphy said...

You go Kevin! The whole Murphy clan is thinking about you and sending lots of hope, energy, and love your way.

Cindy Suber said...

This is terrific news. I know Kevin, with your family's love and support, you will fight this successfully. All my hopes, thoughts and love are with you!

Debbie Lillo said...

My fervent prayers are with all of you--and especially Kevin--as you don those boxing gloves! I'm thankful for answered prayers for a better prognosis, and will be praying for incredible response to the therapies. I sure do love you guys!!

Susana Glina said...

It is really good to hear your news of a new prognosis. Our thoughts and hearts are with you and Kevin. We are here to help in any way you need as you take on this treatment. Please let us know how we can help.

Ken Averill said...

Hoping for a tectonic shift in your favor Kevin! Everybody here at the International Headquarters of RMG is pulling for you...

Anonymous said...

I am glad the news is looking better. I know that Kevin definitely has the necessary fight in him! I've seen him on the court, in the water and on the slopes. Dig deep and fight hard we are all sending positive thoughts your way. Love to all the family. Let us know if there is anything you need.

Love,
Libby & Family

Crockett Hinga said...

Our thoughts and prayers our with you and your family as you start the journey to recovery.
Hinga Family

Anonymous said...

Carolyn Rich Kevin and Stacy. I am sending positive thought out to all of you!!!Keep fighting!! Love Judy and Gordon Lee

Melisa said...

Sending positive healing energy to you and your family. Can't imagine you being sick for long. Thank you for keeping us all posted on your journey.
Love from the Walker Family; Dean, Melisa, Amelia and Evan

Megan Martinelli said...

The Martinelli Family is praying for your full recovery, Kevin. Beyond the prayers and good thoughts, we sure would like to give you and your family some Martinelli juice to have on hand. Don't know if you're a fan of Martinellis, but we'd love to keep you stocked during your treatment period. I will email your mom and work out the details.

AA said...

I'm so glad to hear about the possible improvement in prognosis! I will be thinking of Kevin as he starts his treatment on Monday. Sending lots of love your way!!

-Amy Anichini

toni runyon said...

Seeing your blog lifted my heart! Steve and I continue to pray for you with all our might.
We are here to do any little thing you all may need. Please don't hesitate to call on us. Kevin, we wish you and your entire family strength, love and faith in 'kicking' this!

Love Toni and Steve Runyon

Dianna Higginbotham said...

Kevin and family

This is good news and you are a tough one so keep up the fight.

The Valencia family is prepared to help. Just let us know. Food, etc.

Go Vikings!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

He is in the BEST place ever - Stanford does work wonders! You can do it Kevin .. keep fighting! Prayers for strength and love going out to you all! Sue Emmert

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Carolyn, Rich, and Stacy.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Kevin- visualize a great powder run down Thunder Saddle or the Wall on Chair 10 with Erik, Ty, and I because we want you to ski that with us. Keep fighting!
The Sambrailos

Rory said...

Its going to be a struggle, but I know you got it in you Kevin. We're all praying for you. Keep on fighting.

Christie said...

I am sending positive thoughts and healing energy to you, Kevin and to your family. I was Stacy's teacher in 4th grade for a part of the school year. Keep the faith and the determination to heal.

Christie

Kyle McBride said...

Hey brother keep fighting, sending my love and support...

Anonymous said...

Kevin is fortunate to be a Williams! You are an amazing family, spreading positive energy throughout the community. Now you get to be the recipients of that energy - tap into it.
I will be thinking of you all in the coming weeks, and look forward to hearing about Kevin's progress.
Kim Flynn

Jane Grady said...

I am so heartened about Kevin's new diagnosis. Kevin, you continue to be in our family and our church's prayers for healing and well-being. Know that there is a sea of love upholding you and your family. With Love, Jane Grady and the rest of the Winn's

Benjamin B said...

Yo kevin. You have been in my thoughts all week while I was up in the snow, up in your element. I’m sending some positive healing vibrations your way. Thanks for the help with the tipi last spring.
Stay strong.

Katherine & Casey said...

Kevin, we're thinking of you and sending our thoughts from Chicago. We have spent many a day and night in the halls of Stanford Hospital and we hope you have a chance to see our favorite places... the patient gardens off the atrium, artwork along the 3rd floor main hall (Xrays of flowers!), and for a change of pace, try the big train in the pediatric lobby and even wandering outside of the newborn nursery....Ask your nurses about the massage therapists who can visit when you feel up to it. The Menlo Park library certainly has a decent audiobook collection. David Sedaris is one of our faves on audiobooks. Can't think of any good ice cream places, but let us know when you are up for a good burrito or indian!
God Bless!-Katherine & Casey Brown

Lynn said...

Wonderful news to hear the improved prognosis... prayers and good energy to Carolyn, Rich, Kevin and Stacey... I am sending prayers and white light to Kevin... God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, our thoughts are with you and with all the positve energy coming your way "you will be back" on that knee board here at Manresa! Our prayers are with you and your family.
The Fogel Family

Ellen Georgi said...

The surfing picture of Kevin helps us all keep in mind the Kevin we know and the ocean he will surf in again. We are evermindful of the power of God's grace, which Kevin's community is focussing on his recovery to wholeness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, Carolyn, Rich, and Stacey - Keep up the good fight...you are in our hearts and prayers. Gotta love a chocolate milkshake, there's a place called "Jeffrey's Hamburgers" that is suppose to have great milkshakes also - on El Camino Real, in Menlo Park, near Menlo Ave.

Love to you - The Parenti Family

Doug DeMuth said...

Hey Kevin, You have always been a competitor and one who plays to win. I know you will come out on top in this battle. The DeMuth family has been sending positive thoughts your way. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Doug, Morgan, Dragan, & Waylon (new twin boys as of 2 weeks)

Anonymous said...

My mom has been keeping me posted on Kevin's health. I have been thinking about your family and sending positive thoughts your way. Stay strong! Heather Almy (C an V Jensens daughter)

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Carolyn, Stacey and Rich,
Wow - we just learned the news! Our most positive thoughts are with you all, especially you, Kevin. Fight hard, be positive, know that your whole community stands with you.
love and healing thoughts, Claudia, Morgan, Chelsea, Bob and Liam (Parrish, Wright, Kuhn)

Anonymous said...

Hello Williams family,
We are praying for all of you and hoping to hear good news. Kevin, keep fighting - that Kirkwood powder is calling you. God bless.
The Sambrailos

lindsay.faith said...

Dear Kevin,
I will keep you in my thoughts. When I think of you, I think of the talks we had in Whalen's. I know it's been years since we've talked but I know that you're an awesome and genuine person. You're so strong and I, as well as the entire community just want the very best for you!! Thinking, hoping and wishing for your speedy fast recovery!

Lindsay Cellona

Anonymous said...

My daughter Michelle just informed me of your situation, which she learned from Danielle Ganley. I'm pretty sure Kevin knows my son Glenn and that he was on a soccer team or two that I helped coach back when he was in 6th or 7th grade. Good kid, good family, and now he's garnering the support of a great community which is all the help he'll need. Be strong, this can be won. Jim Geesman (now in my 34th month beyond the GBM prognosis I had)

Anonymous said...

A friend just told me of Kevin's story. My thoughts are with Kevin and his family, and I pray for Kevin's health and recovery. God bless.

gmcb said...

While Kevin spent a tremendous amount of time playing, I know him best from the times he was at work. Stacy said it best: Kevin was the master of the 89.6% A-. He had no patience for what he called busy work. But when he had a task at hand he could make any job a game. Every morning in D-208 when he and Kaitlin H. were given some horrible cleanup job on the aquariums he would start by rolling up his sleeves for "the gun show." He would flex for us and while we laughed he started pulling the hoses. Then he would make jokes I won't write down and he would have us laughing again as he stared the siphons.
I am indeed blessed to have had Kevin briefly pass through my life. And if the afterlife one has is determined by how one uses their time here Kevin is most certainly in the highest and finest reaches of heaven.
Good by my young friend. kgf

Post a Comment