Yesterday was pretty stressful, again owing to miscommunication between doctors. The first doctor who visited in the morning nonchalantly told us that Kevin’s platelets (which make your blood clot) were below 50,000, so they were going to halt radiation, and that the MRI from the night before didn’t show that the tumor had responded much. This was not news we wanted to start the day with. One of our main goals for the moment is to continue radiation; we feel it is very important to continue the treatment that is hopefully going to cure him. Therefore, we want to make absolutely certain that there’s a darn good reason for stopping radiation, and that the “reason” isn’t a miscommunication.
After much stress and talking to several other doctors to figure out what actually was going on, it turned out that everything is just fine. The first doctor had his facts wrong. Yes, Kevin’s platelets are dropping, but they're still above 50,000. Even if the platelets were below 50,000, the radiation oncologists would switch to localized radiation on the brain stem. Plus, the MRI does show that the tumor has shrunk a bit. We are thrilled that radiation continued as scheduled this morning—and that it seems to be working!
Kevin enjoyed a personal cheese pizza for lunch. A few days ago, Mom discovered that Kevin could order off the pediatric menu. He would much rather have mini cheeseburgers, tater tots, taquitos or pizza from the pediatric menu instead of puréed asparagus and mashed potatoes every night. He said the pediatric menu “is more my speed.”
Kevin also tried the chocolate milkshake from Häagen-Dazs last night, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s the new second-place shake. He drank most of it in literally under 60 seconds! The rest of us splurged and also had milkshakes; we decided we needed something sweet after such a hectic day. The lesson learned from yesterday (and a lesson I should have remembered from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy): don't panic.
8 comments:
Hi Williams,
We are coming off 48 hours without power (gotta love Aptos) and catching up on the blog. Your doctor stories are, hmmmm, disturbing? You guys are making a great team for Kevin. Go Williams!
Love, Susan
Dear Kevin,
Like Kathy and the rest of the family, I am praying for you, and Kathy keeps me regularly updated on your progress. I hope your Dad was able to pass on the hug that I gave to him when I accidentally ran into him at the hospital yesterday.
It is obvious, being the "CHOCDOC", that I am always on the search for the best chocolate treats ... and milkshakes are a favorite. So.. after some research, Kathy & I will be at the Saturn Cafe in Santa Cruz tonight to try what was rated the #1 milkshake in our area. I will let you know ...
I thank the family for keeping us posted on this blog and we will continue to check in to see how you are doing.
Sending love and prayers,
Robert
hi kevin, stacy, and williams fam!
just wanted to let you know i'm here in seattle, thinking of all of you :) these updates are wonderful! you all should be able to earn medical degrees in no time after all this is through (well, for those that dont have them already...).
note to stacy: the shirt is on its way! sorry for the delay...
note to kevin: have you ever tried a 'moose tracks' milkshake? finish up all the chocolate ones first though, because you may never want to go back...
Good to hear the tumor is shrinking and that Kevin has a team to keep his docs on track! Whew! Chocolate shakes definitely earned by all. Sending prayers your way..Lynn
Good Evening Williams Family,
Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop. I think about Kevin everyday. Kevin I know you are a fighter and will kick this cancer. You are so fortunate to have such a large support group. We are all pulling for you and your family.
As for the milkshakes... Have you tried our local Mariannes on Ocean? They have wonderful ice cream.
The Smiley Family
I'll be praying that those platelets stay up. I'm sorry you all had to go through such a rough morning, but sure am glad the doctor was wrong! So...can I blame my growing waistline and constant craving for milkshakes on reading this blog??! Thank you, Stacey, for keeping us all up-to-date in such a well-written and sensitive manner
what great news to hear that tumor is shrinking! Too bad you can't put platelets into those chocolate shakes! If I could put a giant hug in the mail I would, but I hope that you guys all can feel it and all the love and hugs from all those that care about all of you. Stay strong and keep on those doctors! I can't imagine a better team than all you Williams. Stacey, thank you for keeping us all informed and letting us know our prayers are being answered.
Toni and Steve Runyon
Hey Kevin,
Hang in there man. Keep fighting. Enjoy the shakes. If you're still going strong with the audiobooks and you're looking for a few more suggestions here some are:
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich (about the MIT kids who took vegas for millions)
The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson (one of my favorite pieces of literature if you're up for something less lighthearted)
The A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (one of my favorite reads of all time - fantasy series that has a certain realism to it.)
The Guinea Pig Diary (I listened to this the other day on the drive down to LA - its a book about a guy who puts himself through certain experiments like outsourcing his life - my personal favorite)
Rich, Carolyn, and Stacy,
Stay strong and let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Or if there is an address where we send anything he might want.
With love,
Rory
Rpwinn@yahoo.com
Post a Comment